Posted on Mar 20, 2020, 4 p.m.
Right now it appears as if people are all about toilet paper, making finding it very difficult in America as well as other countries. The shelves in stores should replenish as soon as people settle down and stop panic shopping and hoarding like this is the end of days, in the meantime you can order a bidet, use other methods, or try your hand at making your own toilet paper.
Another benefit of knowing how to make things yourself is not having to leave your home, and being prepared if a full on emergency should occur leaving you with far less options. To make your own toilet paper all you need are the items listed as follows.
- One large pot
- 10 sheets of newspaper or one ½ pound of paper
- One 5 gallon bucket
- Leaves and grass
- 4 tablespoons of baby oil
- One metal spoon
- Two bath towels
- One rolling pin
- One wooden board
- Fill the 5 gallon bucket with water to soak the newspaper in. The ink will fade but not fully vanish.
- Place the paper in the pot with several handfuls of clean grass and leaves, this will break down and hold the paper together. Let this simmer for at least a good hour, boiling for a half hour which will turn the mixture into a pulp.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and drain out as much of the water as possible, and let the pulp cool, then remove the pulp to fully drain.
- Place the pulp back into the pot and add 4 tablespoons of baby oil and mix. This is to help prevent the pulp from drying out.
- Place the materials in a room where they can remain undisturbed for a half hour. Spread out one towel on the floor to place the pulp on.
- Roll out the pulp using the rolling pin to make it as thin as toilet paper.
- Place the second towel on top of the rolled out pulp, then put the wooden board on top of it. Placing cans, weights, rocks or any other heavy item on top will help to compress the pulp. Leave it to compress for a half hour then remove weight and boards.
- Flip the towels over making the bottom now be the top, and remove the towel.
- Leave the flattened pulp to finish drying.
- When completely dry, peel it off the towel and use the scissors to cut it down to the desired size.
- Make sure to store your newly made DIY toilet paper in an airtight container.
If you have run out of toilet paper and don’t want to make your own, there are still other options. Consider ordering a bidet spray to clean yourself once you have finished your business. Try using a reusable cloth that you would need to wash after each use. Additionally, Lamb’s ear is a low lying plant with long basal leaves covered in a nice soft felt like fuzz that is biodegradable.
We have actually had some emails asking for this recipe after posting the DIY hand sanitizer recipe. So there you have it folks, that is DIY toilet paper basics. If you can’t buy it, now you know how to make it.
Materials provided by:
Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
This article is not intended to provide medical diagnosis, advice, treatment, or endorsement